Groupon is looking for the next wave of great algorithm engineers and data scientists to work on presenting just the right deals to the right users at the right time, for hundreds of millions of daily interactions. We work in small, independent and agile teams, and collaborate with product designers to implement stuff quickly.
These high purpose and demanding roles offer a unique combination of computer science, software engineering, algorithms and applied math, scalable production systems, consumer product thinking, and business revenue optimization. Personalization for Local + Mobile is uncharted territory in ecommerce, and you can make your mark working on that at Groupon. There are not a lot of boundaries here, so expect to make a big impact.
For more information from previous interns, please take a look at our blog gr.pn/internblog
What You’ll Be Doing
- Focus on a variety of deep data analytics and modeling problems
- User behavior modeling: Predicting user propensity for click, conversion, and attrition.
- Personalization: Recommendation algorithms leveraged for both users and merchants
- Forecasting: Modeling historical data to forecast demand, purchase propensity, merchant risk, etc.
- Marketing and CRM: Customer life-stage modeling, large-scale advertising on search engines and social media for customer acquisition and continued engagement
- Optimization: Large-scale linear and nonlinear constrained optimization algorithms for managing the right portfolio of deals in each local market
What to Expect
- Exposure; Being a household name gives employees the opportunity to work in startup-like environment and focus on deeply interesting work that you wouldn’t get to do anywhere else. Prepare to make a large scale impact in a short amount of time.
- Professional Development; Participate in weekly “lunch and learns” with other engineering and business functions, skill building workshops, and networking sessions.
- Fun; Explore the city through our planned intern social outings, and develop your network while getting to know your peers and Groupon’s leaders.
- Mentorship; Look forward to one-on-one time with dedicated managers and mentors to facilitate your growth throughout the summer internship experience.
- Currently enrolled in an MS or PhD program in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Math, Statistics or related field
- Preferred emphasis on algorithms, machine learning, data mining, statistics, applied mathematics or similar field
- Strong coding skills in one or more programming language such as Java/C++/Python/Ruby etc.
- Understanding of applied math topics such as probability and statistics, linear algebra, basic optimization techniques
- Experience in SQL, Hadoop, R and scripting preferred
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Passion for consumer experience, a desire to go into uncharted territory with bold new ideas, and a willingness to go the last mile on execution
Groupon provides a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products, and live or lively events. At the same time, we are providing advertising options and tools that merchants can use to grow and manage their businesses. Culturally, we believe that great people make great companies and that starting with the customer and working backward moves us forward. Community matters to us on an internal, local and global scale—it’s fundamental to our company’s growth and to the well-being of the world at large. We also value self-awareness, candor, lunch and WiFi. If we match with you, please apply to join us.