Earn a globally recognized degree at a top university
A UBC degree opens doors all across the globe. You’ll also become part of a vast alumni network.
Study with the brightest students in the world
As an International Scholar, you’ll join a community of engaged and supportive young leaders – you’ll study among the best and the brightest. Your fellow scholars enrich UBC and the global community with their diverse perspectives, their committed involvement, and their innovative initiatives.
Make the most of your degree
As a UBC International Scholar, you’ll have access to numerous opportunities inside and outside the classroom that will enrich your university experience.
- Study-abroad exchange programs can take you to emerging countries where you’ll have the opportunity to address local challenges in health, agriculture, social infrastructure, education, and sustainable development.
- Community-based experiential learning projects will help you apply your academic interests to the needs and issues of the local or global community.
- A weekend retreat will help you connect to your community while you plan for the year ahead and develop your leadership skills.
- A workshop series scheduled throughout your first year will support you through leadership, community development, career preparation, and networking opportunities.
- A reception and other celebratory events will be held throughout each year to recognize your achievements and help you connect to the awards community on campus.
Dedicated advising and support
International Scholars are supported by a network of staff from across UBC’s faculties who will support your academic, personal, and career development. You’ll have a dedicated advisor as your first point of contact, as well as for ongoing support.
INTERNATIONAL LEADER OF TOMORROW AWARD
International Leader of Tomorrow Award winners receive awards proportional to financial need. Financial need is determined by tuition, fees, and living costs, minus the financial contribution you and your family can make annually. A standard needs-assessment is based on the financial information provided by you and your family.
The International Leader of Tomorrow Award can be renewed for up to three additional years of undergraduate study or to degree completion, whichever is less. Your award may be renewed provided you achieve satisfactory academic standing in your faculty, continue to demonstrate financial need, and maintain your Canadian study permit (student visa).
To be considered for an International Leader of Tomorrow Award, you must:
- be applying for your first undergraduate degree
- be admissible to the first-choice degree you are applying to, including meeting UBC’s English Language Admission Standard
- have an excellent academic record (at least an “A” average or equivalent standard)
- be an international student – neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident of Canada – and be studying in Canada on a Canadian study permit (student visa)
- demonstrate a level of financial need that would otherwise prevent you from pursuing a UBC degree
- be entering a UBC undergraduate degree program from a recognized secondary school, college, or other university
You must be nominated by the high school you are currently attending or recently graduated from, or the college/university you are transferring from. When you are confirmed for nomination by your school, college, or university, your institution must use the International Leader of Tomorrow Award nomination package.